Founded in 1990 by the National Black Catholic Clergy Caucus, Black Catholic History Month runs throughout November each year as an opportunity to highlight the heritage, patrimony, and witness of Black Catholics—especially African Americans.
Below is a list of events around the country carrying on the tradition and celebrating Black Catholic faith. The list is not exhaustive and will be continually updated throughout the month. (Missing your event? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- 11/3: Feast of St. Martin de Porres.
- 11/4: (virtual) “Recovering Social Catholicism” event with Solidarity Hall (featuring reflections on Fr Albert J. McKnight, CsSp)
- 11/7: 113th Founders' day for the Knights of Peter Claver and Ladies Auxiliary
- 11/10: Founder's day for Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (founded by the African-American nun Mother Theresa Maxis Duchemin)
- 11/13: Birthday of St. Augustine of Hippo.
- 11/13: (virtual) Knights of Peter Claver and Ladies Auxiliary Northern States District youth event.
- 11/14: (virtual) “Why Black Lives Matter in the Catholic Church” National Black Catholic Clergy Caucus event with Bishop Emeritus J. Terry Steib, SVD of Memphis and Gloria Purvis.
- 11/17: Feast of Venerable Henriette DeLille.
- 11/21: 170th anniversary of the private vows of Venerable Henriette DeLille and her Sisters of the Holy Family.
- 11/28: Anniversary of the elevation of Cardinal Wilton Gregory, the first African-American cardinal in history.
- 11/12: Minkisi Ministry 25th anniversary retreat at Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church.
- 11/5: BCHM conference and Mass at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More.
- 11/1-6: “Tolton: From Slave to Priest” play in town. (Various locations)
- 11/6, 13, and 20: BCHM Masses at St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church with Fr Urey Mark of the Lyke House Catholic Center, Deacon Joseph Goolsby, and Fr Roy Lee, respectively.
- 11/18-20: 110th anniversary celebration at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.
- 11/8-9: Celebration of Servant of God Thea Bowman with Fr Maurice Nutt, CSsR at Holy Cross Catholic Church.
- 11/1: All Saints Day Mass for the six African Americans on the path to sainthood, celebrated by Bishop Emeritus John H. Ricard, SSJ of Pensacola-Tallahassee at St. Ann Catholic Church.
- 11/5-12: Virtual walk-a-thon with the Oblate Sisters of Providence.
- 11/5: “Many Faces in God's House” conference with Cardinal Wilton Gregory of Washington at the Julie Rogers Theatre for the Performing Arts.
- 11/5: VBCC Ambassadors Praise Concert at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.
- 11/19: BCHM Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church with celebrant/homilist Fr Kareem Smith of St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church in the Bronx.
- 11/3: Day of Prayer for the diocese’s 175th anniversary at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church on the feast of St. Martin.
- 11/5: Black Catholic Day of Reflection with Sr Cora Mae Billings, RSM at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Sicklerville.
- 11/4: (virtual) First Friday Table Talk with Sr Roberta Fulton, SSMN and the Diocese of Charleston Office of Black Catholics.
- 11/13: BCHM potluck at Mother of Christ Catholic Church followed by a screening of “A Place at the Table” documentary on Black saints-to-be.
- 11/10, 15, and 30: BCHM Rosary and Adoration at various Black parishes in the diocese.
- 11/3: St. Martin de Porres feast day celebration at Sacred Heart Cathedral with the Christ the King Catholic Church African choir.
- 11/13: BCHM Mass at the University of Dayton’s Chapel of the Immaculate Conception with homilist Deacon Royce Winters and musical guest Rita Winters.
- 11/20: Father Joseph Davis, SM Annual BCHM Lecture in Kennedy Union's Torch Lounge at the University of Dayton with Dr. Shannen Dee Williams.
- 11/6: “Nothing’s Impossible” Black Catholic Ministries gospel choir concert at Mercy High School in Farmington Hills.
- 11/20: “Holy Men and Women of God” presentation and art show with Fr Maurice Henry Sands at St. Kateri Tekakwitha Catholic Church in Dearborn.
- 11/26: BCHM presentation at Holy Angels Cathedral with Deacon Martin Brown.
- 11/3: “The Venerable Sister Thea Bowman’s Path to Sainthood” lecture with Laurence J. “Larry” Payne at the University of St. Thomas’ Scanlan Room.
- 11/20: Annual Archdiocesan African Cultural Heritage Festival at St. Cyril of Alexandria Catholic Church with Cardinal Daniel DiNardo.
- 11/16-17: “The African American Catholic Experience in Louisiana” pilgrimage with the Spiritans.
- 11/19: African American Catholic Youth Congress at St. Thomas More High School.
- 11/3: Procession for the feast of St. Martin de Porres with the Sisters of Mercy of Alma, Michigan at Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church.
- 11/12: 13th annual African-American Catholic Ancestral Mass at St. Odilia Catholic Church with the African-American Catholic Center for Evangelization.
- 11/3: Feast day Mass at the St. Martin de Porres National Shrine and Institute.
- 11/4-6: St. Martin de Porres triduum with the St. Martin de Porres National Shrine and Institute and Bishop David Talley at the shrine, the grave of Servant of God Thea Bowman, and St. Peter Catholic Church.
- 11/5: BCHM Mass at St. Stephen Protomartyr Catholic Church in Miramar with Archbishop Thomas Wenski.
- 11/19: BCHM Luncheon at St. Thomas University in Miami Gardens.
- 11/5: “Celebrating Black Catholic History Month: A Prophetic Call to Thrive” day of reflection with Fr Derran Combs, OFM at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church.
- 11/9: Soup with Substance event with Fessahaye Mebrahtu and Shanedra Johnson in Marquette University’s Alumni Memorial Union room 157.
- 11/12: “Celebrating Black Catholic History Month: A Prophetic Call to Thrive” presentation at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church.
- 11/1: All Saints’ Day commemoration at Broadside NOLA with the Backstreet Cultural Museum.
- 11/3: Mass for the feast of St. Martin de Porres with relic veneration at Xavier University of Louisiana's St. Katharine Drexel Chapel.
- 11/5: Black Saints Celebration at Bunny Friend Playground with Fr Anthony Bozeman, SSJ. Prayer service and reception to follow.
- 11/19: Mass for the feast of Venerable Henriette Delille at the Sisters of the Holy Family motherhouse.
- 11/4-30: “Heavenly Bound: Paintings By Brother Mickey McGrath” at the Sheen Center on Venerable Augustus Tolton and Servant of God Thea Bowman.
- 11/7: Reception with Br Mickey McGrath, OSFS at the Sheen Center.
- 11/7: Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Fund Awards Dinner at Guastavino’s.
- 11/17: "Bringing Blessed Black Saints to Life" presentation from Wyneisha Huntt at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Manhattan.
- 11/3: Annual Mother Mary Lange Lecture in Black Catholic Studies at Villanova University’s Topper Theatre with Fr Bryan Massingale and artist Vernon Adams.
- 11/6: Annual Mass for the feast of St. Martin de Porres with Archbishop Nelson Pérez at the Cathedral Basilica of Ss. Peter and Paul, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the first Black Catholic deacons in Philadelphia.
- 11/5: Screening of “Gemstones: The Faith Journey Of Pittsburgh African American Elders in the Catholic Church” in Duquesne University’s Africa Room.
- 11/17: (virtual) “The Saintly Six: Black Catholic Candidates for Sainthood” webinar with the Knights of Peter Claver Council #225.
- 11/5-6: BCHM Masses at St. Ann Catholic Church in Fayetteville with Deacon A. Stephen Pickett and the Holy Name of Jesus Spiritual Choir.
- 11/11-12: Annual Black Catholic retreat at the Roslyn Retreat Center.
- 11/15: “The Angel in the Details” documentary on the Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception (aka the “Black basilica”) screening at Naro Expanded Cinema in Norfolk.
- 11/10: BCHM Mass at St. Rita Catholic Church in Webster with the music ministries of St. Rita, Immaculate Conception, and St. Monica Catholic Churches. Refreshments to follow.
- 11/10, 17: (virtual) book club on Dr. Shannen Dee Williams' "Subversive Habits: Black Catholic Nuns in the Long African American Freedom Struggle" with St. Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Church.
- 11/6, 13, 20, and 27: BCHM Masses at Christ the King Catholic Church. Dinner on 11/13 and Black saints-to-be plaque dedication on 11/20.
- 11/4: BCHM Lecture with Fr Joseph A. Brown, SJ at the University of San Francisco’s Fromm Hall.
- 11/12: BCHM Mass at the Mission Dolores Basilica with the Sacred Heart Council and Court of the Knights of Peter Claver.
- 11/8: Screening of “Going Home like a Shooting Star: Thea Bowman's Journey to Sainthood” at the University of Santa Clara’s Manresa Lounge.
- 11/15: Inaugural Thea Bowman Lecture with Dr. M. Shawn Copeland at the University of Santa Clara’s Gesu Chapel.
- 11/8: “Six Black Catholics on the Road to Sainthood” presentation with ValLimar Jansen at St. Madeleine Sophie Catholic Church in Bellevue.
- 11/16-20: “Tolton: From Slave to Priest” play in town. (Various locations)
- 11/5-6: BCHM Masses at Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church honoring local Black Catholic doctors.
- 11/6: BCHM Mass at St. Mary of the Pines Catholic Church honoring Fr Rothell Price, the Josephites, the Society of the Divine Word, and the Society of African Missions.
- “A Concert of Negro Spirituals” with local choirs at St. Alphonsus Liguori 'Rock' Church with guest soloist Fr Arthur “Art” Cavitt.
- 11/16: “New Beginnings” revival at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church with Richard Lane and the Rejoicing Voices choir.
- 11/20: “Six Black Catholics on the Road to Sainthood” presentation with ValLimar Jansen at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church.
- 11/6: “Golden Memories” gospel concert with Rawn Harbor at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Largo, Maryland.
- 11/6: BCHM Mass and presentation with Pamela Harris at Holy Family Catholic Church in Hillcrest Heights, Maryland.
- 11/8: Catholic University of America’s Black Student Association Soul Food Dinner and Gospel Mass in the Pryzbyla Center Great Rooms.
- 11/13: BCHM Mass at St. Augustine Catholic Church with Cardinal Wilton Gregory, celebrating 75 years of Catholic ministry at Howard University.
- 11/18: St. Augustine Catholic Church gospel choir 45th anniversary dinner at Elizabeth Seton High School’s Mahler Center in Bladensburg, Maryland.
- 11/20: St. Augustine Catholic Church gospel choir 45th anniversary concert.
- 11/20: (virtual) “Celebrating Black Catholic History - Acts 8:26-40” webinar with the ADW Council of Catholic Women and Fr Anthony Bozeman, SSJ.
- 11/20: Centennial Mass for St. Anthony Catholic Church with Cardinal Wilton Gregory.
- 11/26: Centennial gala for Holy Redeemer Catholic Church at St. Aloysius gymnasium.
- 11/27: Centennial Mass at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church.
Nate Tinner-Williams is co-founder and editor of Black Catholic Messenger, a seminarian with the Josephites, and a ThM student with the Institute for Black Catholic Studies at Xavier University of Louisiana (XULA).